What a great, boring weekend I had! Thank GOD I wasn't sick, not one bit! I enjoyed having my dad and Linda here to help and so glad they could rest and not have to worry about taking care of me! They had just as busy week as ever, moving out of one house, into storage and shuffling cars, boats, golf carts, etc. between 3 kids houses! And now shuffling themselves between our houses during the week and weekends until they close on their new house in a few weeks!
This week I've still continued to feel good, a little tired, but honestly I can't say that is from Chemo. I'm not exhausted tired, I'm tired from going to bed later than I should and waking up to get 3 kids ready for school, normal mom tired. I've been able to run errands, take care of the kids and enjoy all the meals my friends are continuing to supply to me and my family! I will say it is so nice to have 1 less thing to worry about in a day! Oh and how dare me leave out my taxi drivers!! Thank you so much Vicki/Scott, Dawn & Cher for driving my kids to and from practices! I'm so spoiled!! And of course to my amazingly strong husband! He's been a rock through all this.
Today we (Rob and I) met with the radiologist. Dr. Schlumbach, she is another awesome MDA dr. that I am so thankful for. She was professional, nice and so smart. She's basically said I fall into a grey area, we all knew that! Radiation is clear cut for those with 3 or more positive lymph nodes. I had 2 that had some form of cancer. She flat out said I'd benefit from radiation. And that is all I needed to hear. Benefit for a long, healthy life! The 2 separate cancer spots on my breast raised red flags because those spots could've sent out cancer cells in any direction. My age is another key factor. And by having radiation, I decrease my reoccurrence by 12-15%. That's HUGE for me! And the risk factors to my heart are minimal, there are ways to hold my breath and pause the laser for a quick moment during my treatments that can move my heart (if it's in the way to begin with). Yes, I know that sounds strange, but MDA has led studies on this procedure. My lungs will have minimal damage and because I'm not a smoker I won't have long term issues. I could crack a rib or 2, but whatever. So all that aside, I'm in for 6 weeks of radiation, every single day. I'll start that about 3 weeks after my last chemo treatment. I'm planning (ha-like that, I can still plan), Maybe completing my treatments by Spring Break!
The other issue is my reconstruction. I cannot have an implant after radiation-EVER! The skin is damaged and over time an implant will move and creep further up my chest and cosmetically will not be normal. Dr. Schlumbach said there are some plastic surgeons that do this, but Dr. Gordley does not. (she said "He's good, 'EVERYONE AT MDA HERE IN THE TW USES HIM)! Here comes my only dilemma, not a hesitation, because I want to do everything in my power to prevent a reoccurrence. So, the dilemma is, back flap, groin, or tummy tuck, and maybe Dr. Gordley has something else up his sleeve. YES, I know it's a given. I'd love a tummy tuck, but not really and here we go again, back to a small chest, because of my limited fat! HA HA, it's all good, because I wouldn't have had implants if I didn't have cancer. I'll have an implant on the right and make my decision down the road about the left. I have almost a yr. to decide. YES, 1 year from now I might be done with all this. I see Dr. Gordley on Thur. and will confirm my options and get back to you. I'm leaning towards a tummy tuck and will start eating my share of Blue Bell Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream! I know many of you have offered to have your tummies cut open on my behalf! I'll start taking bids, just text me with your offer. If you're offer is high enough to cover the cost of new floors in my house, I'll schedule you to meet with Dr. Grodley! Heck, maybe my insurance will cover your costs, and you can pay me in cash (is that legal?). All joking aside! I'm happy and in a good place!
If HE leads you to it, HE will lead you through it!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
I like your last line of your blog. Patti, He does lead you! Hold on tightly to that! Love you! Auntie Mart
ReplyDeleteAuntie Mary! Not Mart! Oh theses fingers ! Love you!
ReplyDeleteYour blog sounds great. Glad to hear hear you are feeling well and are able to carry on thru the day without tiring. The kiddos are probably enjoying having their Mom share their daily events with them. Hope you continue to improve each day and will continue to have you in my prayers. Best wishes from PA.
ReplyDelete