If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Monday, September 8, 2014

I've got a scratch that I can't itch...my tricep keeps tingling like a small itch and I cannot feel me scratching it!!!  AGH!!  It's driving me crazy!  And these nerves may never fully grow back. Oh, the joys of having surgery. How many places on my body can I count that are numb? 1) 3x c-sec scar, 2) each boob, 3) left arm!  3 places that no longer have feeling!

Friday was a busy day. I started the day with going to see Dr. Gordley, although my drains were out, I still had fluid that needed to be extracted. My boobs began to mysteriously grow and a huge bump developed under my arm (think big fat roll, although this was a fluid roll). He put a needle into my under arm in the scar and sucked out 120cc of fluid (that otherwise would have been in the drain). The reason he took the drains out because there was more risk than benefit and said we just may have to continue doing this several more times. As I was leaving I made an appointment for Wed. 9/10. And we would probably drain more and fill the expanders at the same time.

My next stop was the wig place. Heather and Nancy met me there (thanks ladies-it was a huge help). When we walked in, we looked around and at each other, kinda like "oh this sucks." Nothing looked like my hair, all the samples were short, dark, white, gray, straight, long, etc.  We were put in a little room and were helped by someone who knows what they are doing (well the 1st one wasn't putting off a bad vibe and thankfully she was re-routed to a requesting costumer. So we got another, extremely helpful person!) Basically, you just go find a style of wig you like (several at that) and then start trying them on. After you like the wig, you can pick a color. The first one I tried on was dark-WOW, that was funny. We figured long was a no go. Then we grabbed some short ones, ok the blonde short one was a joke as I looked like Carol Brady-picture her hair style that was short around her face and then was longer in the back and flipped up! Heather took that picture and sent it to Rob and he immediately said "NO Mrs. Brady!" So now the mood is lighter and we can continue with the task at hand. I finally decided on a semi-wavy wig that can actually be pulled back into a pony tail, since that is how most people see me. They had one in a box, but the lady helping us decided some of the curl was fading and this wig cannot be curled with a curling iron. Ok, here's a quick lesson in wig and being heat temperate. If they cannot be around heat, you have to watch out when opening the oven door, the steam from the dishwasher, etc. the wig can frizz and then has to be professional straightened. Therefore, if you buy a heat temperate wig, you can curl it with a curling iron and it'll stay until you wash it. Which is every 14 wears, depending on how often you wear it or even sweat in it!!  The lady found another wig with the same amount of curl in a catalog and decided to order me both wigs and they'll both come in sometime this week. I can then try on either one and buy the one I like best. The non-heat temperate wig was a perfect hair match (at my roots) and has a lot of great features. Such as; silk surrounding the forehead so it blends and I don't look like I have a $50 halloween costume wig on. Mesh on the scalp so the hair looks like it's coming out of my head not a wig. And, it does have roots that are darker than the ends of the hair-a more natural looking wig!  The other wig that they didn't have in stock has all those same features and you can curl it. So, hopefully that one will be a hair color match for me and I'll be all set!

After the wig store I had several errands to run and back home at last. It was a long day for me, but glad to get out of the house. That afternoon Rob arrived with a UHaul full of our stuff from the Tiki house. We've sold it and now I have a garage full of 'stuff!' Thanks to Nancy, who on Sunday came over and helped me go through all my crap and separate donate from keep. Although, for some reason I've now inherited more items from my dad-THANKS!!! I now just have 2 beds (anyone need a double bed?) and several boxes of stuff that I need to find places for the contents!

Saturday, Nathan had his first football game. He is playing nose tackle. Seriously, well, he and another kid smaller than him are both at that position. I guess that's what you get when your small  and slower than most of the other boys. Poor kid got pushed and thrown around by kids twice his size. Golf is looking better and better!  But he's a good sport, he says he still loves it even though he doesn't like his position. I'm just planting the seeds for when he gets to McCullough 7th grade and theres a 7th grade A, B, C, D and however many other teams they have.

Sunday was typical, we went to Church and I sent Rob with Emma and Nathan to the store. I had to take Natalie to her Volleyball uniforms fittings. I got about 5 texts from Rob double checking on things!! Actually he did great and I'm so thankful he went to the store for me instead of parking it on the couch and watching football (on our new TV)!! Thanks again Nancy for coming over to help me out so Rob can park it on the couch and watch football on his new TV!!

And of course over the weekend, my fluid roll found its way back under my arm. First thing Monday I called and went in to see Dr. Gordley! He drained more fluid, but less than last week and decided to expand today. It's official, I have 120cc in each side and honestly, I look like my old self. Can I actually stop at 120cc?  Do they make silicone implants that small?  Well, let's go a little bigger, but not sure I can make it to 300cc!  Actually I'm pretty positive I won't make it that big. I'm sure I'll have to see Dr. Gordley before the weekend once again to have more fluid drained. He did say this is typical, surely I'd need a few more times!  UGH!!!

The rest of the week is pretty busy. Wednesday I'm set to cut my hair. Not sure what I'll do, I don't want to go too short because that means I'll have to actually fix my hair as my quick 1 min. ponytail would be out of the picture.  On Thursday, I get my port put in and Friday is my first day of Chemo!

I'm pretty positive, hopeful, praying I sail through this first chemo drug. I've been told I will, so let's hope I'm not the exception and I breeze through. IT'S MY PLAN!

All else is somewhat normal around here. Nathan doesn't want me to clog my shower drain with my shedding hair, but doesn't want me to shave it either. Maybe he'll come around. Natalie is the president of her "Pink" club at school. Paint the Path Pink is a wonderful thing her school has for all the students. (Who knew we'd become directly related to this?) There's shirts involved(with survivors names on the back), a walk/run, bake sales, bowling parties, etc. All for breast cancer. It was started as a teachers wife was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago. Natalie's teacher is one of the main teacher organizers of Paint the Path Pink and has this group of girls to further organized smaller fund raisers throughout the year. Natalie is so excited! Although, like myself she may become a little bossy. I've told her to make sure she takes suggestions and they, as a group, make decisions-I don't want her losing friends over this! This is going to be a great thing for her this year!  As for Emma, she's constantly walking around the house cheering, dancing and jumping all over the place!  And she has told me she no longer likes ballet, only jazz.

GOD'S PLANS WILL ALWAYS BE GREATER AND MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN YOUR DISAPPOINTMENTS.

"DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS, WHEN TROUBLES OF ANY KIND COME YOUR WAY, CONSIDER IT AN OPPORTUNITY FOR GREAT JOY!" JAMES 1:2

Hugs and kisses, love and prayers to each of you in your life's journey!

1 comment:

  1. I am less anxious for you now that I read your post and feel as though you are handling your situation (with spiritual help and also family involvement) quite well. Sounds like a great plan for Natalie to be involved as I am sure it will help her mentally and physically to be able to feel good about herself and her friends by becoming more in tune with the reality of helping people who are going thru breast cancer. I hope you use your coffee cup, the word COURAGE caught my eye and I thought it would give u a little boost in the morning to see the word. Sort of an incentive to start the morning knowing somebody has you in their thoughts always. I am so proud of Natalie for being excited with her venture, she
    really is a leader and I wish her well. She has a sweet, kind nature and will do fine
    with her friends helping her. Wonderful. Nathan is just so Rob, he tries so hard, he just always tugs at the string of my heart because I think of how hard Rob tried to be so perfect always at everything he did, always had to be 100% or he had a hissy fit. He will say not, but he did. Nathan has his temperament as a child but he is so precious. Emma is just a lovely little doll. She loves what she loves and that is Emma. Her giggle is so catchy. gotta love em all. I surely do. I am wishing you great days ahead, that you will breeze thru your chemo. Bobby was so scared for his first treatment but he did fine and with God along side of you, you will also. Prayers for a week of few quirks and even though I am sure you are a tad bit scared, remember who loves you. God loves you and so do I,
    I read a little story last night in the Guidepost mag, at the end of the story it had a note. If you can't sleep tonight, talk to God. Sending love and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete