1 down, 11 to go! It was painless and pretty easy to get chemo. When I got to the MDA clinic, my vitals were taken and then Rob and I waited about 30-45 more minutes to go back in a room. I had a little private room, a lounging chair, another chair, TV, and then enough space for the nurses stuff. Pretty much like a small hospital room. The nurse came in and explained everything. Basically I get a bag of benadryl, an anti nausea drug, and steroids. And then a bag of saline to flush it all. That took about 30 minutes to drain those. I brought a bag full of 'mail' catalogs and some magazines. Needless to say I flipped (very quickly) through about 4 magazines somewhere in the middle of my infusion and slept the rest of the time. The liquid benadryl knocked me out! The first 3 drugs all work together to prevent an allergic reaction and any stomach discomfort. The nurse said if I eat healthy foods and avoid fast foods I probably will be able to stomach the taxol (chemo drug). Oh, and drink tons of water to flush it all out! YEA, I think I can do all that, because after all, our diet consists of good foods and water! After I finished the first round of drugs, the nurse came in with a gown covering her scrubs and gloves. The taxol was in a biohazard bag, the nurse made me state my DOB, & my patient # and then another nurse came in to double check those again. I also had to check the tag on the bag myself to make sure it was all correct. WOW, you can never be too safe with chemo drugs! The first 15-20 minutes the nurses are monitoring the infusion a little more frequently to make sure I don't have an allergic reaction. That can happen at any time during chemo, not just the first day. I pretty much slept for the next 1-1½ hours until there was a loud beep from the machine saying there was air in the line. From then on it was a gravity drip and about 15 min. later I was finished! That's it, take the line out of my port and done! Until next week! I have a few steri strips covering my port and have another week or so until that is healed. I feel as though I'm going through a pregnancy, the first 8 weeks are going to be rough, healing from surgery, adjusting to chemo, etc. Then the middle part is just getting into a routine, and then the final 8 weeks will just completely suck!
The rest of today will consist of laying around. It's pouring down rain and the perfect weather to veg on the couch!!! Ha Ha! My new life of laying around! So unlike me, but what do you do! I guess I better enjoy it while I can...no excuses next year!
Thanks so much for all the well wishes, the FB messages all made me smile today! Keep praying for all those people suffering, so many way worse than myself!
Love, Hugs, Kisses and prayers to each of you!!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
Your hair cut is so cute!! Love it! And you are such a light. The fact that you are able to look at your suffering and then acknowledge and pray fro those who are suffering more than you. Such a testimony. Love you.
ReplyDeleteYou so blessed to have it go so well, we were all hoping it would be. I am re-living all the moments with you as you go along. I knew it would be an anxious moment, with prayer and faith, everything went well. Amen. Have a great week end, enjoy family moments and rest, drink lots and eat healthy. Prayers....
ReplyDelete