If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Thursday, September 11, 2014



I CANNOT STAND SELFIES!!  Here's the cut, I know it looks long here, but within the hour it started curling, therefore I had to wash it and allow it to dry in its natural state-curly! So, it shrunk up a bit and is actually right below my chin!!  The kids kinda like it, but hesitate. I felt the same way, but what do you do, my hair can no longer be a point of interest!!

Today Rob and I got up early to get my port. My mom came to get the kids off to school. By 8am I was in a gown had an IV. The first place I went after that was to get an echocardiogram. MDA has started doing these on all patients; before, during and after chemo. I assume my heart looked pretty good. The lady kept saying 'beautiful, nice and oh look at this'. She had a student in the room and was talking her through everything she was doing. It was nice for me because I like that kinda stuff and I like knowing what is going on. She did ask if I worked out, well to be honest my heart rate hasn't been above 80 in over 4 weeks. But, I said yes and she said she could tell because my resting heart rate was 51. Sweet! Now, let's see if it stays that way for the next 6 months!  After the echo, I was taken to a small OR. Two nurses got me 'prepped' for my procedure. I simply laid on a table and let them do their thing. My upper right chest area was cleaned and the rest of me was covered. A plastic sheet was covering me and I had an opening to my left. I had to turn my head and leave it that way...Don't move!  They put in my 'happy juice' and in came the Dr. He introduced himself and went to work. I was to remain consciously awake?  If that makes sense, I could sleep or stay awake, whatever I wanted. I figured I'd take the opportunity to close my eyes since I'd been awake since 5am. However, I was still awake and could feel most everything. The procedure began with the Dr. telling me I'd feel a prick from the numbing medicine and it'd last for about 15-20 seconds and feel like a bee sting. I quickly told them they need to rethink that statement because a bee sting is not how I'd classify that 'sting!'  They laughed and said maybe a snake bite!  Well, since that's never happened to me I can't compare. But the sting hurt, thankfully it only lasted 15-20 seconds!! After that, I could just feel them pushing, pulling, tugging, and moving around in my chest. I had a great idea what the port would look like as my friend Kristi has one. The port is right below my clavicle (collar bone) on my right side. Then there's a tube that goes under my skin, from the port and attaches to a vein in my neck (there's a small incision in my neck where the Dr. had to put it in the vein) and down my vein the tube goes. This distributes the chemo throughout my body. Today I have gauze and tape keeping everything clean and the steri strips in place, as well as the needle that will be used tomorrow. This is the only time this will be left like this. Only because tomorrow is my first chemo day. And a short 30 minutes later I was finished!  I had to wait 30 minutes after the procedure to leave. I wouldn't say I was in pain, but the place in my neck is not comfortable at all. They said because my neck was turned to the left for so long that I'd feel a little more pain. Thankfully the pain is gone, or at least lessoned by late afternoon. OK, so a pain pill helped to dissipate the pain.
Needless to say I was starving. Rob and I left the hospital, went back home, picked up my mom and headed to lunch. After lunch, we went to the wig place, as my wig was ready to be picked up. Last time Heather, Nancy and I picked out a semi-curly, a beach curl as they called it. But it was not heat tolerable. So the other one that was ordered can be curled and can be around heat (like opening the oven door). I tried this new one on first and it was an exact match to my hair color and looked just like my hair if I'd straighten it. As I often do in the winter!  Perfect. I then tried the 'curly' one on and it still looked a little frizzy and wasn't as nice as the 1st one. And I really wanted the one I could curl or leave straight!!  And that was it, paid and out the door!!  I have a new hair do-WooHoo!
On the way home from the wig store I decided to call Dr. Gordley. I don't see him until next Thur. and he wasn't in the office tomorrow. I figured I get some fluid drained under my arm before the weekend and hopefully make it from today until next Thur. without having to see him.  Got to love a Dr. who says "can you come now?" And I was within 2 min. of his office!!!  Fluid got drained, and only 60cc!  Down from 120cc last week and 110cc Monday!  Well at least I'm getting rid of 1 problem as more surface!  And just like that my busy day is just about over.

Nothing like lunch with your mom and husband, a $500 wig, and 1 less fluid roll under the arm!!
What a great day!!!  Seriously, honestly, I'm in a great mood!

The kids started back with their piano lessons today and were actually excited. They are going to The Woodlands football game vs. Katy (I think) tomorrow night. And Saturday Nathan has football and Emma her first soccer game of the season.

My dad and Linda come tomorrow and stay for the weekend as they are now homeless for a month. The Tiki house is no longer ours. Bitter sweet, sad, but ready to move on. When 1 door closes, another will open. LOOK OUT CARPET AND TILE, WOOD IS ON IT'S WAY-It's what I have to look forward to next Spring!! (for those that know Rob, it's not a done deal-I still need to push him to officially, finally, commitment).  A little help here people!

I'm not sure I really care that I have chemo tomorrow, I'm ready, I'm tired of waiting....

Hugs, Kisses, Prayers for all of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment