I had my MRI today. 1st thing this morning, my new normal of driving to St. Luke's The Woodlands where MDAnderson Cancer Center is and the imaging center where the MRI took place. It's really nice (if you have to be a patient) to go to a clean, politely staffed place. Everyone in there is really nice. But, I guess if you're a cancer patient they have to do a good job of having a little sympathy for you. So, thankfully no rude nurses. I follow a nurse back through the doors, the doors that led down the hall where I had my biopsy and faced the fact (in my heart) that I indeed had cancer. Through a different set of doors this time, down a hall to a locker area to lock my purse up. Then I followed the nurse into a room to get an IV. I didn't know I was getting an IV. The nurse told me it was a Contrast MRI. Meaning I get a fluid through an IV that allows the MRI to detect my cancer and see if they're were any other spots that had previously gone undetected by my mammo's. The nurse is really nice and explains the IV (in my hand) and then gives me a syringe full of saline. She taped the IV to my skin and we walked down another hall to the MRI room. Once inside, she gives me a warm robe and blanket. Along with that I get ear plugs, and nipple markers-WHAT?? Little tiny round stickers with a small (nipple) like ball on them. Apparently the MRI needs to know where your nipples are and real ones can't be detected. HA HA!!! This is now funny! SO, off with my clothes and on with the stickers! The nurse comes back in, I climb on the MRI table, face down, boobs hanging through the table! WOW, no anxiety of being in a tube. I get to keep my face down and not see anything! I have to keep my arms above my head so she can attach the syringe. I go into the MRI for about 10 min. My head is down and eyes are closed. I feel as if I'm being put into a ride at a theme park. One that sends you down a long tube but on your stomach. Then the LOUD sounds begin, wow they are loud. Good thing I have ear plugs. At this point the only thing I can think to do is Pray. I just start praying, praying for comfort and peace. Pray for all kinds of things, then I just start saying the Hail Mary. Not sure how many times I prayed it, I just kept going. Next thing I know the MRI stopped, and the nurse asks me to stick my hand out. I look up (OMG, you mean I'm not down some long dark tube as I feel I am, my head is right there, right at the entrance where it's bright) and a syringe is attached and in goes the contrast. I was told I might get a metallic taste in my mouth, but I never did. Thank you!! 15 more minutes and I'm done. That was easy, out of the MRI, start taking off the robe and crap, I've got to peel these very sticky nipple stickers off-yikes! I'M DONE-yea, no more cancer patient for the day!
We had been in Tiki for the 4th of July celebration on the 5th. We had a blast with our family and lots of good laughs. Natalie had to be back in The Woodlands on Sunday for club volleyball tryouts, so as perfectly as if I planned it myself the MRI was this morning and we could stay 1 night at home and head back to Tiki to spend the rest of the week in Galveston for surf camp. We left Nathan, Emma and Max at my dad and Linda's so Natalie, Rob and I could make that turn around easier. And, thankfully it was.
On the drive down to Tiki I decided to give my Dr.'s office a call. I knew they wouldn't have the results right away, but just to touch base on a few other things. I left a message and just forgot about it. As soon as I got to Tiki, I put on a swim suit and immediately went outside to wipe away my memories of the day by laying in the hot sun, hoping I'm not getting skin cancer. Yes, I use sunblock!
Me and the kid were going to meet my mom in Friendswood for dinner. So we came in about 4:00 and shortly after that I got a call from Misty, my Dr's nurse. I asked her if she would call me when the MRI results were in (I ask this b/c they don't call you with your biopsy results, you have to physically go in the office), I guess once you have cancer, they figure you can handle any news over the phone. She said she'd call me tomorrow or Wednesday with the results. She did say she had the results of my HER2 test and it is NEGATIVE!!! YES, that's what we wanted...Now I know my cancer isn't growing rapidly or spreading and will respond to treatment. HER2 stands for Human Epidermal Growth Factor, it is a specialized protein found on breast cancer cells that control growth and spread. WOOHOO, PRAYERS ARE WORKING! Misty also spoke with Dr. Gordley and my scheduled surgery date is Tues., AUG. 12. YEA, they are certain I won't need surgery immediately and we can go on our family vacation to Hawaii. SHHH, kids still don't know we are going to Hawaii. We still need the results of my MRI and the BRCA1 test to see if I will have the single of double mastectomy. I told Misty I was fine with the double mastectomy if that is recommended.
Next up is the results of the MRI and my pre-op for surgery on July 21st. And by then we should have the BRCA1 test results.
Thanks again for all the prayers, well wishes, texts, calls, emails, fb messages, etc....I love hearing from everyone. I may not respond right away, but I intend to and love hearing from y'all. I feel the love and prayers and I know they are working!
Love to everyone out there. Just think no matter how bad you have it, someone has it worse. It will always be ok; cry, whine, pout, scream and shout, you earned it, but when you're done smile and know GOD is on your side, HE will make it ok! You just gotta have Faith!
HANG LOOSE AND SURF ON!!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
What what an inspiration you are to not only your family but anyone reading your words on how to handle the crappy bits of life and focus on the beauty each day brings. Even if it's just laughing over nipple stickers!!!
ReplyDeleteReally excited that your MRI went so well for you. I am terrified of the tunnel but your prayers got u thru it. As for nipple covers, they are a trip and can be quite tacky to remove. Will continue to pray for you and hope your plans for the "big trip to you know where" is a go. Your attitude is so great Patti, it will be a blessing in your life, I can feel it in my heart. Keep on kickin butt with that bump on your road. Love you. God Bless.
Delete