If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Friday, August 29, 2014

To put it lightly, these expanders suck!! Filling them, even if only 60cc, has been the most painful thing I've encountered to date! And Advil, even prescription strength 800mg, didn't work. So, I broke out the Hydrocodone again and am happily taking ½ pill as needed. It's not making the pain go away, just bearable. To my guess the pain is coming from my raw ribs, raw muscles, raw everything and a stupid expander on top of it all! Needless to say I'm going to ask Dr. Gordley to avoid filling them next week to allow a little more healing time. I have found if I push hard on top of the expanders and even placing ice packs on top make it feel better as well. And even though I can't feel my skin and the cold ice packs, they still work!
Today I met with Dr. Nelson and his nurse Candy. Dr. Nelson is my oncologist who is responsible for my chemotherapy regimen. He started off with saying the radiation is still up in the air and once I meet with the radiologist I'll know more (that appt. is Sept. 16). Radiation is recommended to people with 3 or more positive nodes, but 1-3 is a grey area. I had 1 completely positive node and he said the other was just metastasizing. (This is where the risk my outweigh the benefits). If radiation is recommended it will start once I'm finished with Chemo. So, onto the chemo diagnosis. I will start chemo on Sept. 12 (as long as my drains are out). I will have chemo weekly for 12 weeks. All my treatments will be on Friday and I'll be able to drive myself and that can be my time to sit and veg for 3 hours. Actually I'll probably be catching up on my magazines, books, pinterest, etc. The drug I will take for those 12 weeks is Taxol. It is known to cause nausea, fatigue, hair loss, constipation (NO), etc. However, I've heard many people report they make it through taxol just fine, tired, but fine. SO that is my hope! After 12 weeks of Taxol, I'll start my final drugs known as AC. I'll take AC every other week for 4 sessions. That will last 8 weeks. This puts me through Christmas and into the new year. The good news is once January is over, hopefully I'll be done with all the shitty stuff! I've heard mixed reviews about AC, any where from people are tired, nauseous, to completely laid up in bed for several days. I absolutely hate feeling like crap, I'm nervous, especially since I'm fresh out of the hosp and still not 100%. There's 2 serious side effects, 1) I can developing Leukemia & 2) it can effect my heart. Both these are in less than 1% of the population. I need to remember and go back to my bible and start retelling myself GOD has this! GOD will take care of me!! HE will take away my worries, I just need some more reassurance!
On Sept. 11, I will get a port. The port will be a little nickel size object placed below my skin on the right size, on top of my pec. muscle. It has a tube that is also inserted in my vein so the drugs can be directly administered. This is an outpatient procedure, but once again I have to go to the hospital for this. I've decided to go ahead with a short hair cut to prepare my family. So, on Sept. 10, I've scheduled an appt. to chop the locks! I'm assuming, from previous conversations, that my children will each want a little ponytail. Weird, I know, but my hair is loved by my kids. Ironic, but it's always been a topic of conversations and Natalie always refers to my hair as my trademark.
Before leaving the hospital today, I had to get blood work. I have great blood vessels and nurses love my arms. So, today, I sat in the chair and the nurse started thumping my veins. I started getting a little worried, she said my veins are all hard. I said that wasn't normal and she asked if I'd already started chemo. I told her no, but I was 2 weeks out of surgery and she explained the drugs in the hosp. have harden my veins, but eventually they'll come back. Needless to say she finally was able to use 2 spots in my bicep to fill about 8 vials. This was after 4 times trying (inside elbow, top of hand, rolling veins, hard spots in my veins, starting the blood flow and it stopping suddenly, and her moving the needle around in my arm)! YUK, hopefully that'll go away and my otherwise healthy self will come back!
I'm shedding a few tears, more than before. I'm sad my kids, my husband, and that my family has to go through this! It's totally not fair to them! When you say "For better or worse" you don't imagine cancer. When I said my prayers (before my diagnosis) with my kids, I thanked GOD for their health and safety and I knew my life was good. I knew we had a perfect life. I never thought we were untouchable, I knew perfect could change at any moment. I know I'm blessed by GOD and I still thank God I have cancer and not my kids. Cancer has changed my perfect life and I pray one day it'll be back. I feel my weakness, I can see it. I can see where the weakness will come and I pray for strength. I need the strength to fight a good fight! I know I'll make it through the other side, people always do.
Thanks again for all the prayers, it is AMAZING and extremely UPLIFTING!  GOD has blessed me with wonderful friends and family!

2 comments:

  1. Patti, there is so much I want to say to you. This battle will not be easy but you have with the help; of God, who is always with you, even during sadness and down times, your family as your pillar. Lean on Rob, when you are alone, let your feelings come out. You have so much faith which is half the battle. I want so much to find a way to help you. You WILL get thru this, I know you Will. You are going thru a time right now when everything is overflowing on your plate. It is full of so much information it is hard to decide what to do first or if to do it at all. I will pray for you always and for Rob and my grandchildren. It will be a rough couple of months, but you must not let this get the best of you. I want you to be known as a SURVIVOR. A woman who fought the battle and came out on top. I know how you are feeling, I truly do, if I could take it all away I would in a heart beat. No matter what, get back to your Bible, pray continuously as I will also for all of you. There are days that will seem unbearable right before something really great happens. God does love you and so do I. Let me help you in any small way or in way that I can. Tell me what to do, I will do it. I do not want this in your life or for your children to see or for Rob, it is here so we must all deal with it and we cannot avoid going to battle head on. Your hair will come back probably even more beautiful. Not a day goes by that I wonder how things are going. I can hear in Rob's voice he is worried about you, he loves you. You are the light in his life as are his children. Together you can all fix this bump in the road and share a new beginning for there is always a rainbow after a storm. I pray your treatments will pass quickly. Bobby never got sick because he took meds before his treatments, it would be a good thing to ask your oncologist about it. Patti, You need to eat lots of nourishing vegetables and fruits. Keep your body filled with vitamins from food and lots of fluids. I sent you a package and forgot to put a note in. I know the last person you need to see or hear from would be me but I will help you in any way I can to get thru this rotten illness you have. Try to get back to your fighting attitude about this illness and elevate your mind to, Fight, Fight, Fight, no matter what. God Bless you and hold you always in the palm of his hand. When you are weary and tired, I know He will carry you. Listen quietly and you will hear Him. Tears are okay also, tears are healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today count your blessings, not your troubles. This is sometimes hard to do and I have often neglected giving thanks for all I have by ignoring my life as it was with friends and family and just spent a day dwelling on how my world was falling apart. I finally sat down and wrote on a paper all the wonderful things I had in my life. Just some food for thought for a way to make the day seem brighter, more spiritual and even make God feel closer to you. He is nearer to you every day, let Him back in your life and don't let the evil arrows start a war with your body. I hope this day will be better than yesterday. Truly the past is history and I just feel I need to tread lightly, but prayers have always been a part of my life and I will continue to pray for you and your wonderful family. May the Lord comfort you and continue to keep you on the path to healing. Amen.

    ReplyDelete