If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Thursday, August 14, 2014

8/14/14
Patti was in good spirits this morning looking forward to being "cancer free".  This little set back hasn't phased her much as she prepared herself for the worst.  She was taken down to the OR around 9:45am, a little before we thought she would go. Denny and I were escorted to her holding area around 10:15 am to visit with her and Dr Fitzsullivan prior to the surgery. I was glad to see Terri (CRNA) and Drew (Nurse) would be taking care of her.  Drew is another one of the really good nurses I get to work with. He's always on top of everything and has a great OR demeanor. Patti was wheeled to the OR around 10:45am and we were told surgery was started around 11:15am.  I got a call from the OR room, which scared me a little bit, but it was Drew just letting me know everything went fine and they were almost finished and that we would consult with Dr Fitzsullivan shortly.  Around 1:00pm , Denny and I were escorted to the consultation room to meet with Dr Fitzsullivan. She is such a wonderful physician who looks like she's in her 20's, but conducts herself as a seasoned veteran of the Hospital.  Everyone, and I mean everyone who we've been in contact with has nothing but high regards for Dr Fitzsullivan.  She is very caring and doesn't beat around the bush.  She's not stoic, by any means, but explains things completely and in a way that is not only to the point, but warm and compassionate. Dr Fitzsullivan explained that she removed the entire "blob" of lymph nodes from Patti's axillary area and pathology will inspect each and every node.  She couldn't tell how many nodes were in the area, but she did feel like she retrieved all of them.  She also explained that she had to put in another drain under her armpit so she didn't disturb anything Dr Gordley did in his surgery.  Denny and I had a few questions for her, one of which I asked her if she still felt as though if Patti were to have Breast Cancer, this would be what you want.  She confided that Patti is currently considered stage 2, but can't be sure until the other nodes were examined, and because of her young age, we should prepare for Chemo and Radiation. Dr Fitzsullivan will confer with her team from MD Anderson to figure out Patti' best course of treatment, but she's in for a long road. Denny was curious as to the chance that heredity or genetics played a role in Patti's development of cancer, but Dr Fitzsullivan said it could be a number of things and we don't definitively know.  I always say Cancer doesn't discriminate, but you can do things to deter it.  In speaking to one of our reps who works at MD Anderson downtown, he said the surgeons he works with have said the number one thing anyone can do for themselves to "beat" Cancer is Early Detection! I am ever so thankful that Patti got her scheduled Mammos and that the St Lukes pathology department checked her nodes yesterday instead of checking out and going home for the day.
 
Denny and I were told we had about an hour till Patti was back in her room, so we decided to leave the hospital for a bit and grab some lunch. By the time we got back to the room at 2:15, Patti was in the room.  She is really struggling right now as I type this, I imagine having 2 surgeries within close to 48 hrs of each other would take a toll on anyone, including her.  She was complaining about being nauseous and she could barely hold her eyes open.  They gave her medicine for the nausea and she seems to be sleeping peacefully.

We got a quick visit from Heather (HB) to drop off some goodies which included a Red Bull and 24 oz Dos Equis beer! Thanks HB! Please keep Patti in your thoughts and prayers as she tackles this horrible disease. Last night as I was taking the dog out before bed, I thought to myself...These people really do care, and by that I mean, you always hear of people saying"I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers", but do they really or do people say it because they feel like they are supposed to say it??  I couldn't help but feel like "Yes, they really are praying and thinking about her , and they really do care", all these people from Patti's past life, Facebook Friends I never met, neighbors, family, old college friends, new friends, BCBsBBC, etc., they care and they care deeply!   I don't know many of these people, but they are good and they want to help... And I want y'all to know that we are ever so thankful.
Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment