If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I had an appt. with Dr. Gordley today. Bright and early, 8:30am. Ha! (I'm used to a 5am wake up call for boot camp) Not to bad for all of you who have been up and about, but early enough for me I needed an alarm and had to get up and get out!  Even though we've all been trying to go to bed early, the first day of school is going to be a rude awakening for our entire house!
Yesterday was a bit of a blah kinda day!  After lunch I finally felt the urge to go to the bathroom-you know what I mean!  (yes, TMI-but it's part of the journey).  Anesthesia and all my pain meds typically constipate a person and oh how I found that out. I've been taking a stool softener but that did no good, or if that's help, THANK GOODNESS I was taking it. The entire day was faced with stomach uncomfortableness and the urge to excuse myself. Finally, by time I went to bed I felt a little better.  Still nervous today though! With all that yucky feelings the day brought, I started really thinking how crappy I would feel during chemo. The morphine made me feel awful and I hate the icky stomach, nauseous feeling. By time I went to sleep I shed a few tears over just how awful I may feel. And how bad it may get...I'm not going to lie this is going to SUCK!
My brother Karl came for dinner, my mom made the best southern meal, Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and cream gravy!!  YUMMY. Today my mom leaves and I'm officially on my own!  I'm totally capable, just low on energy (which will get better the more I do) but completely thankful for the help thus far. Even when I had my c-sections I didn't have this much help. But with 3 very busy, independent and stubborn kids it has been such a blessing to have help. (and the 1st time ever I let someone other than me or Rob do my laundry-I've been doing my own since I was 12 yrs. old).
I went to see Dr. Gordley thinking-just maybe I'd loose 2-3 drains today. When he came in he really didn't say much about the drains and removal and I thought 'oh no, nothing's coming out.' The drains have to be 30cc or less in a day for 3 days. Well, thankfully 1 qualified!  Yep, I'm down 1 drain, I still have 4-HA! I was nervous at him pulling the drains out because you can literally see the drains through my skin and I pictured them all stuck. Well, he snipped it, not sure when he removed the stitches from my skin but he just pulled and it slid right out!  Yah! No big deal. He then showed us a sample of the expanders and said mine was a little larger and all folded up. UGH that's where the creases and folds that you can see through my skin are coming from. Dr. Gordley said it's like a deflated basketball under my muscle-really, seriously OMG no wonder I'm uncomfortable! I've made an appt. for next Tues. where, hopefully more drains will come out as the fluid is less and less each day and he will start to fill the expanders. I have an appt. with Dr. Fitzsullivan on Monday where I'll learn my fate, and maybe lose her drain (the one from the lymph nodes). And if I have to have radiation, any filled expander will have to be deflated-ugh. The rest of this week is easy, kids have activities today & tomorrow (thanks to chauffeurs-Vicki for volleyball & Rob with football, I don't have to leave the house). Finally, Friday afternoon we have meet the teacher. Yes, I'll be able to get out of the house, ugh with drains, remember I look like an old, old lady with nothing up top and saggy waist line boobs-sorry Galatas peeps!!
 I'm not too restless yet, I'm getting up when I want, stretching my arms frequently, but I'm tired enough that laying around feels good-well, maybe it's these stinkin' drains that are keeping me perched. My left arm is still numb around my tricep and is more sore than the right. Just imagine you've done a very hard chest and tri workout and can't move, for days! But, you're trying to move and trying to stretch, but a few minutes later your stiff again. And then every 4 hours you're very stiff and realize if you'd take a 1/2 pain pill you can start moving again. I still have the weighted down, tight and squeezing feeling in my chest. Still very numb. I've learned that I don't like drugs-duh, feeling yucky or anything associated with recovering from surgery. No wonder I don't like drinking too much or getting sick. I'm so very thankful my 2nd surgery was while I was in the hospital recovering from the 1st-I'd be miserable knowing I had to go back. I'd rather take the aches and pains associated with exercise any day over this feeling! I feel sorry for people who live in misery associated with being unhealthy, sick and not as God intended us to feel. Taking care of our body is so important. I honestly believe because I exercise regularly and eat somewhat good that I'm doing pretty good, or maybe better than some.
Thanks again for visiting, sending cards, meals, prayers, messages, etc. The amount of people who say something to my family, Rob and myself all wishing me well is so overwhelming! Please continue to pray and have faith. With GOD anything is possible and I need to keep telling myself with HIM I can do anything. Please continue to pray for those sick with cancer, young and old. This is really awful and I cannot imagine kids and their parents going through this. However, I'd give my health up any day so my kids can have theirs.
Love to all...I'll be in touch soon!

1 comment:

  1. I just read a post on FB, "Sometimes the things you are most afraid of are the things that will set you free." Give your anxieties and worries to God. He always listens and finds the right formula for the problem you are trying to solve. This wretched cancer beast can give us all quivers and shivers. We must never let that happen to us, the thing is, the cancer formula is "hurry up and wait." But we
    do not need to wait because cancer does not have us, we have cancer. I can recall your concerns and your thoughts only because of Bobby, He also had problems with chem/radiation causing him to use a stool softener most of the time. Eventually it worked and the problem became less bothersome. Hopefully this will correct itself for you also, should it happen from your treatments. I will tell you honestly Bobby was never sick from chemo, he took meds 3 days before each treatment and never had any stomach problems. I suppose it depends on a persons system. All are different. Let's hope you're situation will be without any difficulty also. I continue each morning as I wake to pray for you and your family ..
    I worry about the kids but I know they have so much love given to them, no need to worry about them. I am sure you are anxious to meet the teacher and get out and visit with friends and acquaintances so that will be a good thing. The deal is every day will get better, some days not as good as the day before, but it is sort like "baby steps". and as long the step is going forward and it works, then that's a good thing. No steps to the rear, always forward, no matter how small. May your days start to get better as your body begins to heal. Make your new, favorite song," Do Your Ear (boobs) Hang Low" . Something to smile about for a while. Truly wishing you well. Hi to my grandchildren, love 'em. God Bless all...

    ReplyDelete