8/13/2014
Sorry for not posting last night or earlier today, but i will try to keep everyone up to speed to this point (7:00pm).
** Let me preface this by saying please do not share this info with your kids that know our kids, we haven't been able to see Natalie yet cause she is at a school party and spending the night at a friends house. I just told Nathan and Emma that Mom won't be home tomorrow because the doctors want to do another test on her. Thank you all for your consideration in this matter and I will post it when we tell the kids what is going on.
8/12/14
Patti got in her room about 2:30 pm yesterday and she was still under the influence of anesthesia and pain medicine. She had some issues getting her pain under control and feeling nauseous. The first medicine, Delauded, which was controlled by a pain pump switch, made her so "loopy" that she couldn't raise her arms or her head, so they switched her to to Morphine, which isn't quite as strong. The Morphine made her nauseous, so they had to give her medication for that. the problem was the medication for the nausea couldn't be given as often as the morphine, so they had to give a different nausea medication as well. Dr Fitzsullivan was paged to change her medication and finally around 10 pm, orders were given to change it to Norco and Zofran, which evidently was the right combination for her. Soon after we got a timely visit from Father Tom of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in The Woodlands. Patti's eyes lit up. He stayed and we talked a while and he ended his visit by giving her a blessing. Thank you father Tom! About that time I was ordered to go back to the house to sleep there...so I do as any good husband does and I followed orders. In reality, there was one couch in the room and since Patti's mom, Denny, is a nurse, we had planned that she would stay there overnight, so there really was no use for me to try to sleep in a "sit up" chair, moaning and groaning all night keeping everyone up. Patti had a restful sleep last night, thank you God! BTW, we had several other visitors last night to check up on Patti, including her dad, John, her step mom, Linda, and 2 friends, Heather Burke (HB) and Jennifer Manley.
8/13/14
I showed up at 7:30 am this morning and Patti was sitting up in bed, eating toast and smiling! She looked like a million bucks! She said they really figured out her pain medication and nausea medication and she was very grateful for that. Many thanks to the Doctors and Staff at St Lukes for their diligence in this matter. Dr Gordley was making rounds this am around 6:30am and looked at her and asked if she wanted to go home today. We had discussed that she would stay till Thursday and get the rest she needed, because we all know if she was at home, it would be business as usual. Dr Fitzsullivan stopped in as well and said everything went well and she would see her tomorrow. We had several guests in the am and early afternoon, including our 3 kiddos, Natalie, Nathan and Emma. John and Linda, HB, Kristy (sister), Hannah (niece), Kate (sister) and Nancy Lacoste (friend) came as well. Terri (CRNA) and Sandy (Nurse) from St Lukes came to visit her as I was about to leave. I have known Sandy for many years and have gotten to know Terri the past few years in the OR. They are very special medical professionals and are great people as well. Patti was also visited by the nun who I met downstairs yesterday and by a visitor from St Anthonys who gave Patti communion today. Wanted to throw in a quick thank you for all the flowers gifts, food and cupcakes we received between yesterday and today. They mean a lot to Patti and make her smile. We've gotten many comments on all the beautiful arrangements and the goodies are making me gain weight.
Law of gravity...what goes up must come down. I went home to check on the kids around 5:00 pm and I went for a run with Nathan...we got back and there was a call from the hospital. I called Patti back and she told me she got a visit from Dr Fitzsullivan...my stomach dropped. Dr Fitzsullivan said she would see her tomorrow, so I knew something was wrong. She told Patti that upon further investigation, they found cancer in 2 of the 5 lymph nodes and that she would be scheduled for surgery tomorrow (Thursday) as an add-on to the surgical schedule. I can't believe this...I thought we were in the clear...I thought there was less than 5% chance of this happening...I thought she was not gonna need chemo or radiation...I thought she would be home tomorrow. Katie ( Dr F's Physician Assistant) came in around 6:45 pm to check on Patti, explain things and to see if there were any questions. She noted that Patti's cancer is considered stage 2...that was a punch in the gut. Her explanations were thorough and suggested that the rest of the lymph nodes would have to be removed and it would take about an hour and a half and that she would be able to return home Friday. Katie said that Patti should prepare herself for Chemo and or Radiation, but the radiation depends upon further evaluation which will take quite a while. The pathologists will be very thorough in dissecting and evaluating the remaining lymph nodes that are removed. Her surgery will be an add-on, but it should be some time around 11:00 am.
Patti is in good spirits. She prepared herself for the possibility of Chemo and radiation from the get go. I don't think any of us really considered coming back into the OR 48hrs after her first surgery, but we are VERY grateful for the quick evaluation of the lymph nodes. She is glad she decided to stay an extra day (which is so unlike her) so we didn't have to go home and make the decision to come back another time for the next surgery. If I can quote Katie, "Once we remove these additional Lymph nodes, she will be Cancer Free", so in her mind she was thinking "I'm here already, lets get the rest of this over with!"
Many thanks for the prayers and well wishes, they are truly comforting to both of us. If its not too much trouble, say an extra one tonight for my girl.
Rob
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
This is just how God planned it, just a small step back, a way of removing an issue and resolving it before going home and then having to come back to the hospital. I have a feeling it is just a minor set back but an important one of course. So we keep the prayer chain going, for help and to give thanks for what the Lord has given to Patti already. To bless Rob with strength and stamina to be her Warrior and help her fight this battle and for the children who need comfort and love from us. The Lord has a telephone line that is never busy. Unlimited calling, 12/7. Prayers from Pa. as I send this. Patti, you are an amazing woman, don't you dare to stop the fight, keep the arrows bouncing off your body and soul and thus nothing will come your way that you can not handle with the help of the Lord. I pray the surgery today takes care of the minor setback, may God continue to hold you in the palm of his hand. May God also give strength to Denny, Mimi, Papa, all Patti's support crew, friends, family and whomever. Lord hear our prayer. Amen.
ReplyDeleteContiued prayers. God knew you needed to stay put! Hang in there. You've got this. Rob, I am sure you feel as if the weight of the World is on your shoulders, but you are stronger than you think! Thanks for updating so we can keep the prayers flowing. Blessings to you all.
ReplyDeleteYou need to keep on going Rob, it is a tough one, you can do it. You are the pillar holding your family together during this huge bump in the road. With the held of the Lord, friends, family and all those who surround you and your family, we will help you thru this. You are never alone, I am a phone call away as are mega friends who want to help you. It is ONE DAY AT A TIME and then move on to the next day. Deeps breaths, quiet time alone and prayers, IT HELPS. Positive thoughts, lots of loving hugs sent to you all. Until you walk in the shoes of someone going thru the dreaded Cancer, it is impossible to fully understand what it entails to just get thru one day. May the Lord give you strength and Patti strength also. Today is a new day, lots of good things may happen today because
ReplyDeleteHe is in charge. Let's look for positive moments and enjoy them as they come. Love you all. Sending you all hugs. Hang in there and be Warriors (just like Nathan).