If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Friday, December 12, 2014

The Red Devil has come and gone. Did anything dramatic happen?  NOPE!  On Sunday, my left side, expander started hurting. (I had fluid drained on Friday, over 100cc-1 cup size) But, by Sunday, I was in pain, there was redness and it was tender, and by the evening I had a low grade fever. This was my biggest problem. Monday was much of the same thing with the boob issue. And this was day 3 after chemo, I was tired. Muscularly, physically fatigued, but looking back the 1st trimester of pregnancy seemed harder. The larger muscles in my legs were tired, even my feet. Kinda like when you have the flu and you're on the mend, you think you can get going and back to normal, but your body says, whoa, lay back down, you need one more day. That kinda tired. I took several small naps throughout the day and made it through just fine. With the exception my left side was still bothering me, and once again another fever. I had an appointment with Dr. Gordley for Tues., he drained more (again over 100cc) and said there definitely was an infection-UGH!!!!  He said it could be Staph!  He prescribed 2 antibiotics and sent me on my way. By Thursday I was beginning to feel better, not from the chemo, from this stupid boob problem. Today, there is little pain, the swelling and redness seem better, but for the most part the antibiotics seem to be helping. I go back in on Monday to find out more (as today they still didn't know anything)!

Side effects from chemo seem to be similar to taxol. And thankfully, NO NAUSEA ( I took the anti-nausea meds through Monday)!!  Definitely a little redness around my eyes, (no sleeplessness as that is from the steroid and I don't have that now), I urinated red most of Friday (but not awful), I feel a little loopy in the head, a little chemo brain, eyes are a little blurred, dizzy, and the worst part is my taste. My tongue feels like I haven't brushed it in ages (as if I know what that feels like?) just imagine the morning, before you brush your teeth & tongue feel, magnified. Needless to say food taste awful. To the point of taking a few bites and pushing it away. My stomach has growled more this last week than I've felt in a long time. The only thing that I did enjoy was Wednesday (I finally remembered what Mrs. Grimsrud told me) I made a delicious chocolate shake...had one again on Thursday!!  By Wednesday night I ate a huge salad and soup made by a neighbor...the taste was coming back!!  Fruits and salads sound good, liquid soup is good as well and my oatmeal in the morning...this is about all I can tolerate on the tongue...!  Whole, solid foods, thick-heavy foods, breads, etc. sound really disgusting to me now! Probably not a bad thing, but I need to keep my energy and strength up so I need to eat something!!  Oh well, I'm sure by the weekend I'll be eating just fine and then we start back over again next week!

Last night was a first for us. Most of you will probably say it's only the beginning, but at 9 yrs. old I'm glad it's taken this long. What do you get when you have a boy, a slingshot, a steel buck shot (ball), a missed squirrel, and a neighbors car??  YEP, you got it. Nathan missed the squirrel, said the steel shot bounced off a landscape rock and hit the car. He and the neighbor boy couldn't see where it went, but they heard a 'sizzle' sound. They walked away and began to play again. They said they kept hearing the 'sizzle' and Nathan looked over and say the window splintering!  Nathan bolted and came inside-To tell us??  NO, to hide...!  He grabbed his iPad and said he was done playing outside!  WHOA, wait a minute, WHAT HAPPENED?  Thankfully the neighbors were so kind, unfortunately she can't drive her minivan with a completely shattered window and 2 small kids!  And, it was 5:15 so a repair company can't come fix it until Friday-I HOPE!!!  UGH!!!!  Don't judge us as Nathan was told by Rob he can't have the slingshot in the front yard, oops I just said there's tons of acorns around, but knew he had it! And NO he's not suppose to have the steel shots! And YES, he will pay $$ out of his piggy bank, and YES he will have to do more chores, and YES the apology note is already written, we just need to deliver it!

I FINALLY DID IT....I finally shaved my head. Nathan was the only one in protest. But, I was tired of looking like Jim Carrey in The Grinch. My hats were rubbing the hair off above my ears and I was starting to look funny. Natalie, Nathan & Emma all helped Rob shave my head. Rob says I have a very little head and my ears (as Rob has always pointed out were extremely small), looked big!  Natalie and Emma were visibly upset as Emma cried. We all got over it and now have taken pictures (yep, I'm posting one), and rubbed the stubble (NO, I'm not going to 'bic' it). Waking up this morning was so surreal. I feel like I have a bald cap on! I still cannot believe this is my life, I have cancer had cancer, and am going through chemo and I'M BALD!  No time to dwell, we must move forward. As far as having a Friday off in 3 months of chemo, I'm not so over the top excited!  I'm glad for the extra day since Monday was a low-key one, but honestly, I'm ready for next weeks round to get a moving and get over this chemo. I'm ready for my body to be free and clear of drugs and honestly I need to detox!!

I'll leave you with one of the easiest yet, most difficult things anyone can do. GIVE IT TO GOD!!  No matter how big or small, Just pass it on, Give it to HIM.  It is very freeing and I've learned to do just this.

Hugs, kisses and prayers to you...Be Safe, and have a Fantastic Weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. Bless your big beautiful heart sweet girl! Keep pushing! You GOT this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful! Patti--you are such an amazing example to so many--you're the kind of cheerleader we all need!!! Tell Emma that I cried when my mom shaved her head--about two days later I decided she was the cutest bald woman I'd ever seen!!! ;-) Love and prayers--Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have the Bob Kimmel symptoms Patti, he had similar very muscular pains, weakness and was given a mouth wash for his tongue and throat. Plus, eating with plastic utensils. Why don't you just give the plastic a try. His oncologist suggested it, it helped him quite a bit, especially for hot soup or hot food. You will do fine once your body adjusts a little to the new juice you are taking. You are a strong southern lady, so let's just push a little harder. It is tough but u can do it. Doing boot camp while getting chemo, that is just proof #1, really. This is just one little challenge a bit over boot camp, but you will get thru it. Sending love and prayers. Your Dad could be right about the sympathy ailments. Us old folks sometimes just know things. Prayers for the girls and for Nathan, for all. Daggone it. One day at a time, even baby steps, whatever it takes to get thru
    this misery and back to your old self. Truly, really would rather have you that way. When you're tired and worried, and you can't sleep, count your blessings instead of sheep. It's a song, the words are special. Prayers... Lois

    ReplyDelete