OOPS this never got published....sorry! From about a week ago!
I got the email....'We have made changes to your appointment calendar, MDAnderson Cancer Center.' I love this program, but am growing tired of seeing 'changes.' I clicked on the link and was quickly to my appointments. I scanned down and reviewed each one (Because they don't flag new appointments-design flaw-so you have to recheck each one to see where the changed one or new one is). There it was.....January 16, 10am, AC orders. #4, the FINAL & LAST chemo treatment, If all goes as planned I'll ring that bell sometime between 1:00-1:30. I see the top of the mountain, It'll take a quick 4 weeks, 2 of which are the Happiest Time of the Year!!! OMG, I'm over the top thrilled, excited, joyous, you name it, I am it! I feel like Dr. Suess and yelling a bunch of words that don't make any sense! It was the lift I needed, seeing the LAST chemo treatment on my schedule reminds me that I am almost done. I can do it! I am continuing to smile today as I had a checkup with Dr. Nelson. He, as he always does, asks how I feel. I feel Great I tell him, the AC wasn't so bad, it wasn't awful, I only had 1 slow day and he told me that wasn't chemo making me feel bad it was the steroids, they lift you up for a few days and drop you down. He also informed me to back off a little on the anti-nausea meds as I get 2 in my pre-meds that last for several days. But of course if I start to feel sick, start taking them. But, the side effects (massive headaches, constipation, loopy, tired) may be worse by taking them. And they were, I was popping advil like crazy last week. My blood work looked great, nothing to be alarmed about. The neulasta shot boosted my WBC higher than they were before I even started chemo! WooHoo! He said this 2nd treatment should be much of the same as last time. Knowing Chemo didn't make me sick on day 3 and it's the steroid withdrawal is a better pill to swallow (no pun intended) and laying around knowing that, is so refreshing. I can honestly say I did good on the AC. Which definitely makes things easier looking forward to the final 2. The taste buds on the other hand, that sucked. So, let's see if there's a repeat performance! I've got plenty of chocolate ice cream on hand for shakes! (that's the only thing that tasted good at the time-and several other cancer patient/friends said it worked for them too!)
Fast Forward......IT'S IN THE BOOKS, #2 IS DONE....I'm home and ready to face the world with my bald head!!
OK, today wasn't so bad. The 'red' of the red devil, aka AC came out in my urine literally within minutes of it starting to drip. It's a 15 min. drip and I went to the bathroom as soon as she started it and there it is red urine. Ok, it was a little softer, maybe more peachy. But so bizarre to see it go in and come out that fast! I'm a little loopy feeling in my head, and have already had several hot flashes. Good news is the little bloody noses I got during taxol have stopped. ;) This round I'm going to only take an anti-nausea pill when I go to bed. Once I wake up and see how I feel that will determine if I need to start taking the round the clock anti-nausea meds. I think the side effects of those meds are what made me tired, have headaches, etc. Dr. Nelson said my IV meds last several days to cover me! So good to know! I wish they'd given me a lesson in pharmaceuticals prior to all this!!
Not much else to say, nothing is going on. I'll get back to everyone later to let you know if I dropped off or if all is good! I'm enjoy getting out and seeing all the college kids home! It's so fun to look at them and think, how fun it was to be in that same position, albeit 20 years ago!! Ha! Ha! Have a great last weekend of shopping, preparing for and enjoying the Holidays! Take time to rejoice and remember the reason for the season!
****My dad has been diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. His bone marrow has stopped working. His RBC, WBC and platelets are all way below normal. His WBC are lower than mine have ever been and I'm on chemo! He's getting another platelet transfusion tomorrow and on Monday he'll meet with the transfusion dr.'s at MDAnderson, and the possibilities of a bone marrow transfusion and/or stem cell (not sure how it all works)! Welcome to the family dad! MDA is the BEST!! (if you have to go).
One of my favorite verses I saw this week, it's stuck with me and reminds me this is all part of the great plan, it's all in his hands. As my friend says, He filters everything through his hands (therefore I get the drugs to kill the cells, but not the drugs to make me sick!)....
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
Merry Christmas!!! Love y'all
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
No comments:
Post a Comment