If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Monday, August 31, 2015

Here we go again, I know I've said this before, but...I've learned that once you have breast cancer, nothing every really is easy. Just when you think you've done it all and are finished, you really are not. I knew going into the last surgery (if you will recall, it was a very spur of the moment, last minute, need to be done kind of thing), that there was a possibility I would still need another surgery. So, here I am, 5 months out from radiation and having problems. I was told recovery from radiation takes 6 months. Which is why the original reconstruction surgery was suppose to be in September. The problems I'm experiencing are extreme tightening, slight redness in the skin, a pulling of the muscle/implant, stiffness, etc. I have developed a stretching routine and I do it twice daily, it usually lasts about 5-10 minutes. This is me laying on the floor, stretching my arms out to my side (think crucifixion style) and up over my head-OUCH!!! I do forward arm swings, back arm swings, up-down-side-front-back, whatever you can do with your arm, I do. TWICE a day!  It hurts real bad and then relaxes a bit and within minutes my chest is back to the stiffness it was before I stretched. This is common and the doctors have assured me it's good to do all the stretching, however it doesn't really change the damage the radiation caused and it can't be prevented. There is really nothing I could have or can do that will change any of it. Which led me to call Dr. Gordley last week and make an appointment. Who wants to admit defeat, who wants to admit they are not successful. Of course he greeted me with a smile and wanted to see what was going on. He told me the implant looks fine, however the skin & muscle are tightening around it, slightly lifting it up. Of course it's causing pain and what not. The question then becomes, will it get better, worse or stay the same? Here is the dilemma I face and what am I going to do about it. Going into the appointment today, God kept me calm and I knew in my heart what I had to agree to. I know the outcome. And I am ok with it. God once again reassured me. Sometimes our prayers don't get answered the way we ask or the way we want them to, but we are given the 'it's going to be ok' feeling. Dr. Gordley talked to me a good while and even pulled out some pictures. I never wanted to have a tummy tuck, I don't want to be cut hip bone to hip bone. Granted, sure, I'd love to have a flat stomach, but not like this. In the last couple of days, I became ok with it. I can live with pain, I can live with stretching, but there's a possibility it will get worse and then I'm stuck dealing with an emergency type situation. Dr. Gordley also told me once I have this surgery, the pain, the tightness, all of it will just about go away. This way, I will be able to really, finally move on. No more sitting around waiting to see if the implant is going to be rejected, no more stretching daily for no relief.
So, here's what is all involved. My surgery will be about 5-6 hours (yikes-he assured me I'd do fine). The recovery is roughly 6-8 weeks of lifting nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. He would take out the implant (the good news is the muscle contracture has caused the skin to stretch more and that's needed for surgery), and use my tummy fat to rebuild the left side (yes, I've gained a few lbs.-and now don't need to worry about losing it-welcome back BLUE BELL). The muscle currently is on top of the implant, which is why it's squeezing so bad, the muscle would lay flat against my chest wall and the fat would be on top of it. If my skin looks good during surgery he won't need to use my stomach skin. However, all this said, I will be having a tummy tuck, yes that means pulling the skin down, relocating the belly button (I like mine! I saw pictures, his re-do belly buttons look really good), and getting rid of every ounce of fat I have on my stomach!  WOOHOO- NOT!
I haven't really talked about dates with Rob (because this all just happened this am and he's busy at work), but, maybe sometime early November. Dr. Gordley said no hurry, I asked what that meant and he said within a few months. If I wait longer than that, the Spring schedule is absolutely crazy. This way I'll be good for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Wishful thinking). Dr. Gordley said after a mastectomy, expanders and even c-sections, this won't be THAT bad. Most women fair really well. My hospital stay will be about 4 days, 3 of those in ICU. Not because I need it, he said because he likes the hourly nurse care. I can't express how bad I can't stand surgery, but here I am facing my 3rd one within 18 months.
I've come to realize living like this isn't fun, eventually the pain, discomfort, etc. would bring me down, it'd take me down paths I'm not willing to travel. So, I will once again put my Faith in God and know this is what has to be done. The tattooing will go on as planned, just not as soon as expected. Hopefully by late Spring or early Summer.
I've met so many people that are dealing with breast cancer and I know the paths they are on. I honestly can say, I'm slowly starting to forget about chemo, I'm slowly starting to realize last year was truly just a blink and will soon be a distant memory. This is one crazy journey and one crazy life experience that was not on the bucket list. I am stronger, my secure and love life more because of it. God helped carry me through it all and he will continue to do so.

For now....

love, hugs and prayers....

No comments:

Post a Comment