I just have to share my excitement...even though I won't post this until later, I had to type in the moment!
Part I (8am)
I'M SO FLIPPIN PUMPED TODAY IS IT...THE LAST...THE END!
Yes, I know I have surgery in a few months, many more regular dr. visits, BUT to have this day has been a long time coming. I've been through 5 months of chemo, lost my hair (including facial hair-you should see the fuzz growing on my face!), 6 weeks of daily radiation and to know that I really don't have anything to look forward to, EXCEPT my life. I can think about vacations, celebrations, kids, Rob, family...I can face it all knowing I AM FINISHED treating my cancer! Sure, I'm rambling, but I feel like a kid Christmas Eve!! I want to shout it out....I AM FINISHED...I AM DONE!
I know not all can celebrate, please pray for those just beginning their fight and especially those that are losing the battle. Not all battles fought can be won, that's where God comes to the rescue.
Part II (4pm)
And so the celebration begins....with chaos!! Natalie asked to be a part of my ringing today, so I checked her out of school and as I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital I realized I had forgotten a box of bundt cakes for all the radiation techs that have so graciously been at my side for the last 6 weeks. To the rescue my friend Jen M...so kind to drive back to my house and grab them and race back up to the hosp! THANK YOU!!!
Once I was in the hosp, my mom and I walked back to my last appointment, the techs once again allowed her to come in and see the machine and explain the process of radiation, oh and the door to the radiation room, it weighs 8,000lbs! A few days ago I noticed a red area on my back shoulder. So I asked the techs and it is the exit area of my radiation. Because it was on my back, I couldn't see the exact line around the red and it's now obvious it was from radiation. WOW, who knew there was an exit area. That area is red and definitely more freckled than the other side-think sunburn. One of my areas of radiation was up around my neck, the machine was lined up at an angle and that was so the radiation could avoid my spine, it can safely exit and not hit anything important. Another amazing thing I learned on my last day.
As I laid on the table for the very last time, the techs read my measurements, aligned the machine and said "here we go!" (they said this everyday) and out of the room they walked. As I quietly laid there all alone, the emotional ending to it all finally hit me. Tears rolled down my face as I lay quietly listening to the sound of my very last radiation. I repeatedly thanked God for saving my life.
Within seconds it was all over and all I had to do was get dressed and RING THAT BELL!!
I walked down the hall where my friends and family greeted me. I was handed a plaque to read before I rang my bell, and this is what it said: (I'll attach a picture, think of all the people that have held this in their hand and read these same words)
RING THIS BELL
THREE TIMES WELL
ITS TOLL TO CLEARLY SAY,
MY TREATMENT'S DONE
THIS COURSE IS RUN
AND, I AM ON MY WAY!
I could barely make it through the last words.
I quickly drove Natalie back to school (she wanted to go back) and met my friends and family for lunch (see picture), Rob is absent as he had a work trip he could not miss-in Las Vegas (humm). I know he is here in spirit!
Lunch was great, so fun to sit and relax-Thank you! I'm sure I'll find something to do on those no more chemo Fridays and I won't miss the daily drive to & from radiation.
And so, for now, Here I am, on my way, it is done, it is over, no more!
THE END!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
Just read your final post and I am overwhelmed with joy and happiness for you and for Rob and the kids. In my heart I knew you would not let this get you down knowing the kind of person you are. Thank you Lord for answering all the prayers, for the way you guided the doctors thru this healing process. Amen. Now you can once again live your dreams and desires and have moments and memories to make over and over. May you live your life to the fullest and let everything else up to God. Life your life with him, for him and with him always. I am so thankful for "The End" for you but we must still pray and remember others who are still fighting the big fight . Prayers always for those out there who need us to life them up. God Bless all.
ReplyDelete