I must've spoke too soon, radiation is still going awesome. However, last week my skin & muscles all of a sudden got very tight! This is all normal and nothing stretching all day doesn't cure. However, it is so tight and really hurts to stretch all of it. But I know the more I do, the more pain I suffer through now the better it'll all be down the road! I can't explain the feeling, maybe when your skin is tight around a scab, except this is the entire chest area. I honestly feel like I'm pulling apart my muscles, but I know they are only being stretched and not literally ripping. The dr. says this is all normal and stretching is the best thing for that area.
All that being said, I'M ALMOST FINISHED!!! Today I can actually feel like I can count down. No longer do I have to count the weeks, but now I can count the days. 9 to go! And, I learned last week that I can really start celebrating as this week (only 4 more) will be the end of the "all over chest" treatments. The final 5 days are what they call a 'boost' treatment. It will be just the superficial treatment-the electron therapy, not a deep tissue or proton therapy. Studies have shown if the cancer comes back, it will most likely come back in the incision area. Therefore, my scar (it's currently treated with the all over area) will get an extra 5 days of radiation. I'll go in for a quick zap of my incision and my muscles can start recovering. Today I got marked for that treatment. I currently have a blue circle with a dot in the middle right on top of my incision (where a nipple would be) and now I have a green box around it-totally looks like a target. And I'm told not to let it wash off. Great-water, sweat, clothes-all those have made many of my marks disappear each day and therefore the techs have to constantly reapply (and that is normal).
Rob came with me the other day and the techs were so gracious to let him come in my room and see all the equipment and explain the process. I even was able to see my x-rays. The tech pointed out my heart and how they can tell when my breath's are deep enough to separate the heart from the ribs. Rob even said he had no idea this process was so in depth. I know I say it all the time, but I'm still amazed!
I read something the other day that really resonated with me. Sometimes we all feel a bit weak. Are we weak in parenting, being a spouse, work, juggling our daily routines, etc.? If we could all just remember Jesus is strong where we are weak. During chemo I didn't realize I was weak, and I felt strong because Jesus was my strength, he picked up where I needed him most. My family, my routines went on as usual and it's all because the prayers (from everyone) to the Lord above and He picked me up when I needed Him most. "My grace is enough to cover and sustain you. My power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9
Count down the days with me. I get to ring the bell again, this time its for the end of radiation. But I'm also feeling the bell will be ringing for the end of treatments. Rob will be out of town and it will be a nice quiet bell ringing, no big hoopla like it was for the end of chemo. But, on Friday March 27th will mark the end of it all. (Well, the final surgery in August is just icing.) My treatments, my days, will become normal again and the focus will turn away from me and back to my family! I'm so thankful for it all.
Thanks again for everything! love, hugs and prayers to you!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
You are a strong soldier Patti, you cope with your issues well, plus your prayers and trust in the Lord are the backbone of your strength. Great to hear you are soon finished with radiation. May the Lord continue to guide you, give you courage and fill your life with grace and joy. Prayers continue from PA.
ReplyDelete