If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I know it's just hair, but hearing that doesn't make me feel better. You look at yourself everyday in the mirror. When you walk by a mirror and catch a quick glimpse and see something out of place, you stop and take another look. When you look in the mirror you don't think twice about seeing yourself without hair. If you really want to see what you'd look like bald, put a good ole fashion cut piece of panty hose over your hair. (Think of a bank robber back in the day). It changes the entire way you look at yourself. I feel like a little old lady (very old, think 90+ yr. old) with thinning hair, some straight, some curly, maybe a little bed head, but definitely someone that needs to have her hair 'fixed'!

I've gone my entire life with a lot, I mean A LOT of hair. BIG, TEXAS HAIR! Yes, in the 80's I had the big curly hair and it was all free, all natural. Yes, the blonde was mine, the curls were mine. My hair was easy. It was dry, never oily. I could wash it once a week and literally 'fluff' it with water and some products. Over the years, I've learned to embrace my hair. You can even say I was known for my hair. Ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you I could be spotted a mile away because of my hair. Natalie calls it my trademark. How Ironic that I'm now losing it?

I'm afraid I won't make it until Friday with 'my' hair. So today I began 'playing,' attempting to curl and style my wig. WOW, do I already hate that thing! It doesn't look natural, because you can obviously see the unnatural hair line. Our hair lines are not straight, why would they make wigs with straight hair lines? I can't seem to get it just right, it's either too tight or too loose. And of course it's straight. However, the color is dead on! Therefore, hats will be my new best friend.

I know the time is right to shave my head. I've just made one more last appointment with my stylist to possibly just go very short. I've even heard from several people today if you cut your hair during a full moon it'll grow back faster!

Here are 20 reasons being bald is better than having hair.

20-No more hair cuts.
19-No more highlighting my hair.
18-I can save money from not cutting or highlighting my hair.
17-I don't have to sit in a chair for 2+ hours to get cut and highlights.
16-I can save money on hair products.
15-I don't have to wash my hair.
14-I don't have to fix my hair.
13-People can rub my head for good luck.
12-No more hair falling out. Before chemo we'd always find curly blonde hair-EVERYWHERE!
11-I'll be able to try all kinds of new hair styles once it grows back.
10-I can sleep in because I won't have to fix my hair.
9-I can wear all kinds of cute hats.
8-I can look like Mr. Clean! NOT.
7-People can look at my eyes and not my hair. ;)
6-I won't get hot from my head full of hair.
5-Shorter showers.
4-No more sweaty hair from working out.
3-I can't get lice.
2-I can be the butt of bald jokes.
1-No more bad hair days.

Just a short list, yes I'm sure they're more but for now I'll stick with those!  All I keep thinking is If I'm brought to it, He'll get me through it! And have Faith, that's it, Faith is all that's needed to calm my soul.

Hugs, kisses, Prayers and lots of love to each and everyone of you!

2 comments:

  1. Hugs, kisses and prayers right back to you! My Mom lost her hair too--and her hair was definitely her trademark! About a week after losing it, she looked like my Mom again--and I have never looked at her and seen her hair--not once--since then. I see HER. Her face and eyes. And Patti--you could not be more right--He will lead you, carry you, sustain, and be your daily portion. Love in Him--Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many family cousins, aunts and uncles who have lost their hair due to chemo. They made jokes, we made jokes with them, we are making light of a
    situation at the moment of a cousin of mine who is loosing her hair. It can be devastating I am sure but for the most part most of them have had their hair grow back more beautiful. Two had their hair grow back brunette and one was truly
    a strawberry blonde for sure. Another cousin had straight hair and her hair came back very curly and pretty. There are so many hats, devices, etc today it is so
    less noticeable because it has been happening more and more to women and earlier in their years. It is a whole different world than when my Aunts were
    consumed with cancer in the 40's. I am sure you look great no matter, hair or no hair. May this quickly pass and you will once again be able to do your own hair and in the back of your mind, faintly remember when and just move on. Wishing you well on your next chemo. Hope you are feeling rested and able to resume your activities and not over do things. God bless you and your family. May the Lord continue to hold you in the palm of his hand and your husband and children as well. He knows what is best for all of us and He will guide you thru it all for sure.

    ReplyDelete