6 down 6 to go!!! Woohoo! And, it's beautiful outside. We couldn't ask for better weather! A nice 60* this morning and now it's 80*. God couldn't give us a better day!
I've started to appreciate the little things in life a little more. I always tell Rob to stop and smell the roses, to slow down. And now, even more so I'm finding reasons to be more thankful throughout the day. We take so many things for granted. There are tasks we do on a daily basis that we simply select auto-pilot and go. For instance, I fix my kids lunches every day, it'll be over all too soon, or what about those kids that are sick and can't eat a packed lunch. It's an auto pilot routine part of our day that is time consuming, but just think of all the positive reasons why you are thankful for this task. Kissing my kids each night once they're asleep is breathtaking! To see them sleep, to see their innocence. I kiss each one of them, every night before I go to bed, and today I'm extremely thankful I've been given this chance to continue to do this little task! Even smelling their stinky breath as I wake them up in the morning. Last week I mentioned Stephanie Park, who is an ovarian cancer survivor. She really hit it home when she spoke of life's daily tasks that she's thankful for. I know my kids will one day be grown and gone. I have always been thankful for each healthy day I have with them. But there are some things I overlook that I should be more thankful for.
Today was story book parade at my kid's elementary school. I love this day! The point behind this parade is for students to dress up (because they aren't allowed to wear Halloween costumes to school) like their favorite story book character, carry the book the character is in and walk with their class around the school in a parade. The entire teachers and staff all participate. We only saw one kid not dressed up. Not bad for 600+ students! Emma was a hula girl, based on an ABC book about Hawaii. Nathan was a football player (as most boys choose their football, baseball, etc. uniforms to wear) and carried a book that was Rob's when he was a kid. A great activity the kids absolutely love. I've been to 6 parades over the years and have only 3 left! ;(
As soon as the parade was over, Rob and I quickly hustled to the hospital for my chemo. Typical routine; check-in, get wristband, state my name and patient number! I sit for about 2 minutes before I'm called back for a quick vital check, go back to waiting room and wait for a room to open and be called back again. Within 5 minutes we're sent to room 5 ;). I make a quick run to the restroom, open the blinds so I can let the sun light shine in. Nothing's worse than the hospital florescent lights. And then get all cozy and comfortable in my chair. The nurse comes in, checks my wrist band, I state my name and number again and then she accesses my port. I put lydocaine on about 30 minutes prior to the access to prevent the needle from hurting (it's big, bigger than the blood draw needle). However, because of the waiting room time, I never know exactly when 30 min. is. Today I put it on in the parking lot and the prick was easy, best one yet! And then in go the starter drugs, a quick flush and about 20 minutes later, my chemo comes in. A second nurse has to come in and both of them have to ask my name and number again and I have to look at the chemo bag for a final name, number check. I get hooked up and about an hour later I'm free to go.
I have never felt like Fridays are a drag. First of all, who doesn't love Friday? So, why change now? I don't want cancer to take away my love of the last day of the school week! Friday is a day that Rob and I have enjoyed together. Yes, I know I slept through the first 4 Friday treatments. But, when do you get to sit down with your best friend, your partner, the person you are going to grow old with, the person you vowed to love and cherish in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health? To sit there for several hours, to drive to the hospital, drive home, spend the day with, without interruption. This is a day I've grown to appreciate and to love even more. THIS DAY IS SAVING MY LIFE. Without chemo, I don't have my life to look forward to. So, WHY-WHY should I be sad?
Other than my hair still falling out daily, a few hot flashes, a little dryness in my mouth I'm still completely good! The nurse today told me she's never seen a patient take taxol and keep their hair. So, therefore I'm sure it'll completely fall out. However, I assume because I had sooooo much hair to begin with it's just taking a little longer to lose it all! The nurse said with chemo, it kills the new hair trying to grow immediately, so all the strands you've had for a long time take a little longer to fall out.
Have you ever heard Oprah say in life you need an AHA moment? I HAD ONE, MY FIRST ONE!!! Yesterday! I have a friend that was just diagnosed with breast cancer this week. I've talked to her several times and honestly she has helped me too. Yesterday I saw a quote and sent it to her. Here's what the quote said "GOD MAY SEEM SILENT OR ABSENT TODAY, BUT HIS PURPOSE WILL BECOME LOUD AND CLEAR IN THE FUTURE." My friend said she feels God closer than ever, even in her. That's exactly how I felt, how I feel. I knew it the minute I called upon HIM to take away the hurt of hearing the words 'you have cancer.' But I honestly felt like he was holding my hand. SO, here is my AHA moment. I've felt like this is still so surreal, not me, out of body. I just realized yesterday during this conversation that it is GOD who is sitting in the cancer chair taking chemo, he's the one taking the drugs, the pain, the side effects that I don't have. HE'S the one that is doing all this for ME. HE'S taking it all, doing it all, each and every day HE is protecting me. If I wasn't driving, I would've probably fallen to my knees. I instantly started crying, the tears just came and it took me a second to stop (so I could continue to drive), and I just smiled. The realization that GOD would do all this for me! He'd do it for you too. You just have to have FAITH!!
My advice to you is go out and smell the roses, enjoy the day the Lord has made! Take time to appreciated EVERYTHING. Don't always look for the bad, SEE the good. Once you see the good, it'll be hard to even notice the bad! Remember who our creator is and what HE can do for us.
Love, hugs, kisses and prayers to you. Whether your battle is big or small, find the good and listen for your purpose! I love you all!
This blog began as my life with breast cancer began. This wasn't part of the plan, but in life, nothing is. Most people know me as a scheduled person. Just about EVERYTHING is planned. As my daughter says, I'm Type A times Type A. But now we must take a detour and go with the flow.
If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20
Love love LOVE this! Rock on girl! You are AWEmazing!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a testimony you have written. Truly given from within, I can feel it thru your words. God always finds a way to let us know that things always happen for a reason. We sometimes never truly know the reason but we do know God is within us and He will bring feelings. A lot of trials, tribulations and emotions deep from within our soul will come our way.. We are not to worry, we are to always have faith. Myself, I will always worry but I have great faith, also. So I worry and tell God and He finds a way to let me know He knows I am a worrier. He is letting you know He is within you and He will not let you down by allowing you to feel better every day, by allowing you to look at your children and enjoy them more and more and more. It is amazing how He works thru us. God is good, always good. He is blessing you every day and you are feeling every blessing you receive. Love the pink flower and the pink Ribbon. We had pink Sunday last week and all wore pink. They handed out pink key chains, pens, etc. It was an emotional day for everyone attending but also a spiritual day. Sometimes the bad things that happen to us lead us down a road that gives us some of the best things we would have ever dreamed of. So, may God continue
ReplyDeleteto bless you, I & my family will continue to pray for your recovery. May the days ahead be fulfilled with a lot of joy, with many smiles just because of a song, a quiet moment alone with a memory or just because you feel great. Sending love and prayers always. Prayers for my son and my grandchildren, also.
What a wonderful attitude you have, and of course, it comes from your faith in our Lord. I pray that the rest of your treatments go quickly and smoothly. Love and hugs from the Keith family.
ReplyDelete