If God brings you to it, He will lead you through it. Faith got me through the beginning of my diagnosis, Faith will get me through my treatment and into my recovery. NEVER STOP HAVING FAITH!

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, 'MOVE!' and it WILL move...and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! -Matthew 17:20

Friday, May 22, 2015

Reality is finally starting to set in. I AM DONE...not just done with treatments, but done with EVERYTHING! No more treatments, no more surgeries, nothing, nodda, nill! And for that I'm so thrilled.  So thrilled that I woke up at 4am thinking about all I'd been through in the last year and that it is all over with.  Just about exactly a year ago I had my annual mammogram at 41 years old. I won't rehash it all but will give a brief overview of our year. In June, I was officially diagnosed with Stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer. In August our family went to Hawaii for an amazing vacation. We felt an earthquake, saw the volcano and prepared for a defunked hurricane. Two days after returning home I had a double mastectomy and 2 days after the mastectomy I had 18 lymph nodes removed, thus making my cancer a stage 2A. By September I started chemo, lost my hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes. I finished chemo at the end of January. In February, I started 6 weeks of daily radiation and was finished by the end of March. And yesterday I had my reconstruction surgery that thankfully consisted of only taking out my expanders and putting implants in. (If I have complications-may take up to several years to know this, I'd have to have another surgery to use body fat, skin and muscle to reconstruct my boobs!) The pain I feel from the surgery today is nothing compared to the pain and constant (10 months worth) and uncomfortableness of the expanders. I feel as though I've done about 1000 push-ups. I'll take muscle soreness any day. I can actually lay on my side, which I haven't done since August. The implants look so completely natural compared to the expanders. As a friend says, the expanders are like turtle shells, so true, Imagine 2 turtle shells under your skin! And through all my treatments my dad was undergoing his own battle of winning against his Aplastic Anemia diagnosis and treatment.
During this last year I turned 42, Rob gained a year as well, we celebrated 14 years of marriage, and each kid celebrated a birthday. Natalie is now 12, Nathan 10 and Emma 7. We went on as normal this year, we had birthday parties, family gatherings, and celebrated holidays as normal. We didn't have any setbacks. I'd like to honestly say this year was just a change in the normal we knew and next year will be another adjustment learning a new normal.

Life goes on, I've gained some amazing friends, grown closer to those I already knew and through all this I've had 2 friends diagnosed with breast cancer and just met another girl that has just been through all this (minus chemo and radiation).  2 of this 3 ladies had stage 0 cancer....you say WHAT?  That means they were diagnosed extremely early from a mammogram, so early that is most likely was non-invasive ductal carcinoma. And the treatments they need are simply a mastectomy-no chemo, no radiation. People, I can't tell you how important mammograms are. And if in doubt about the age you should get one, 40 for sure. If your younger and feel the need, insist!  I know 4 people alone that were diagnosed before 40. And, if you're in doubt, a mammogram feels much better than cancer! Think about that one for a moment.

This last year was amazing. I say that because I know God got me through this, I saw his miracle daily, in everything I did, I could see it. Once again, without rewriting every verse I've posted, I'm going to give a brief overview of every word that I hung on to. Every word written from the Bible.
Each of these quotes, when thought about, when believed, when known deep down in your very soul will lift you, carry you, give you peace, strength and security to know that you are given hope, hope for a future that is prosperous and fulfilling. To know and Love God is absolutely amazing and if you aren't there yet and you worry about things, sink your soul into these words. Trust him with all your might, your every being and you will be rewarded!

Thanks again for all your amazing, wonderful prayers, thoughts, cards, calls, gifts, messages, thanks for it all! I cannot explain how I have felt you in every step I took this year.  I've said it before, I'll say it again, It takes a village to fight cancer!

Love you all.....

"My grace is enough to cover and sustain you...for I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, Plans to give you hope and a future...I will give you rest...But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength, they will soar high on wings like Eagles...Trust in the Lord, be mindful of him...If you have Faith the size of a mustard seed, nothing will be impossible for you...Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of the things not seen..Trust God all the time...Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go...have no fear of bad news...trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence do not rely...The Lord says “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.”


1 comment:

  1. I am SO happy to hear this! I have been thinking of you these past few months. Praise God! Love and hugs to you, Rob and your children.

    ReplyDelete